Tuesday, August 25, 2009

After-School Shakes

While my mom was out visiting this last summer, she left a cookbook called, "Simple 1-2-3 Cooking For Kids." There are some cute ideas in there, 2 of which were shakes. I didn't know if the kids would like them, but when we were looking at the book together they said that they would. In honor of starting school, we made them as after school snacks.

Purple Cow Jumped Over the Moon

3 cups vanilla frozen yogurt (I used ice cream)
1 cup 2 % milk
1/2 cup thawed frozen grape juice concentrate, undiluted
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Place the frozen yogurt, milk, grape juice and lemon juice in the blender. Process until smooth and serve immediately. My kids liked it and drank it all up, all I can say was that it was interesting. I think that it helped that they saw it in the cookbook and had agreed that I should make it.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Shakes

1 1/2 cups of vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup milk
2 T. Creamy Peanut Butter
6 peanut butter sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped
1/4 c. strawberry jam

Place the ice cream, milk, peanut butter in blender. Blend at medium speed 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Add chopped cookies (I didn't do this); blend 10 seconds at low speed. Pour into glasses. Place jam and 1-2 T. water in small bowl; stir until smooth. Stir 2 T. of the jam mixture into each glass. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
Happy Cooking!

No comments: